TELEPHONE CALL VOCABULARY IN ENGLISH


Telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell, which is one of the greatest inventions of the betterment and comfort of mankind. We have a telephonic conversation almost every hour. Having telephonic conversations has become a part of our daily routine.

Tring! Tring! Hello, who’s calling? Do you talk on the phone? Do you talk for long hours or short period of time? If I talk about myself, I talk a lot on the phone and usually, tell friends about the conversation I had. While talking to friends, people often are seen in search of new words and phrases. Maybe you too require it. If you want to tell someone about the conversation you had, or while talking on the phone the call got disconnected, or the person on the other side was not audible.

So, In this telephone call vocabulary, we will be learning new words and phrases for the situations. Let’s have a look.

1. Dead – battery ran out
 e.g.- I am so sorry, my phone went dead.

2. Engaged – If the line’s busy, call again later.
 e.g.- Whenever I call my friend, her phone is always engaged.

3. Break -up - The voice is not heard clearly.
 e.g.- Pardon Please, your voice is breaking up.

4. Call for someone – To make a phone call and speak to them.
 e.g. - Call for me at 6:30 p.m, I’ll be home.

5. Cut off – Suddenly, call gets disconnected.
 e.g. – I am so sorry, there was a network issue that’s why the call got cut off.

6. Get through - To succeed in talking to someone on phone.
 e.g. – Finally, I got through my friend after waiting so long.

7. Put through- you connect someone to the person they want to speak to
 e.g. - Sure, I will just put you through her.

8.Returning call- Call back
 e.g. – She didn’t return my call, so I assumed something was wrong.

9.Hang on – To hold
 e.g. - Hang on, I will just put through her.

10. Hang up- To end a phone call
 e.g.- After hang up, I remembered what I had to say.

11. Hang up on someone- when someone ends your call suddenly.
 e.g. - Aww, She hung up on me.

12. Speak up- speak loudly
 e.g. – Can you please speak up, your voice is breaking up.

13. Run out of credit- phone ran out of payment
 e.g. – I am sorry, my phone is running out of credit. I will call you after recharging.

14. Top  up-  add money in phone
 e.g.- I need to top up my mobile phone.

15. Text someone- To message someone
 e.g.- I will text you later

16.Voice mail- caller leaves a voice message when the person called is busy or absent
 e.g.-  Leave a voice mail, when I am not available.

17. To have reception- network or signal
 e.g.-  I had bad reception.

Comments

  1. Your blog is genuinely valuable and might turn out to be relevant to a greater part of learner's interest looking for resources to learn and advance their level of English skills. I admire you for taking time to impart such noteworthy articles here. Continue imparting this valuable posts.
    English practice App | English speaking app

    ReplyDelete
  2. If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content. Learn Scottish Accent

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO IMPROVE ENGLISH

POLITE WAYS TO SAY NO